Friday, October 22, 2010

I Knew I Was an American When....


This week's blog post is about when I knew I was an American. Well when I was little my first language was Spanish that was all I spoke, but while time passed and I was hearing my sister and cousins speak English I started to learn. Since my background was my grandparents are Mexican my parents are Mexican I then knew I was Mexican, but I guess I didn't recognized being American. I think the real moment I knew I was an American was when I went to Mexico to visit my family. I started speaking Spanish with them and one of them said "you speak good Spanish but you have an American accent." That was the moment I knew I was an American just hearing those words that said I have an American accent it stunned me. 
Well to me being American is just not being born here. I say if you have lived here most of your life  here that counts as American. Lets say you were brought from another country into the U.S when you were 10 months old you are now 25, but you can't work because you don't have a social security. How would you feel that you were an American or that you were from that country you don't even know how it looks like. Maybe you are from the both countries. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. if i was brought here at a young age and denied benefits like that I would feel pretty angry, but I would still consider myself an American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess your experience was different from many people's many people just KNEW they were American. This must have been difficult but cool at the same time. English was my first language and Spanish is my second. I guess I didn't know WHAT I was until I understood that I live here but my parents were from different places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought that speaking with an accent would distinguish you from an ethnicity.
    An answer to your question:
    I would feel like both of them because I assume that you were raised with the culture of the mother country, but in an environment of the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree w/u. I was born in mexico but came here as a baby and i don't have a ss# which is very inconvenient for trying to get into college and i believe it is unfair because i consider myself to be an american, having no memory of being outside the US.

    ReplyDelete